In support of businesses impacted by the decline in tourism in the City of Stratford.
The Stratford Tourism Alteration Transformation Project is a grant program available to existing businesses (sole proprietors, partnerships and corporations in operation prior to January 31, 2020) who are registered with the Canada Revenue Agency, and incorporated non-profits. Priority will be given to those businesses located within the City of Stratford. The STAT Project has been designed to support an efficient and effective recovery in the tourism sector from the negative impacts of the global pandemic.
The Stratford Economic Enterprise Development Corporation (SEEDCo), through 3rd party delivery agreements, will provide non-repayable contributions of between $7,500 and $20,000 to support one-time adaptation and re-opening costs incurred by tourism-oriented SMEs and NFPs.
Eligible projects will support Small-Medium sized Enterprises (SMEs) and Arts & Culture Not for Profit (NFP) organizations in the City of Stratford and surrounding area which rely heavily on tourism activities to alter or transform their business.
• Implementation of health and safety protocols
• Alterations to accommodate social distancing (i.e. expansion of restaurant patio space, retrofits, pick-up windows or curb-side pick-ups for retailers, secondary entry/exit to improve customer flow and allow physical distancing, interior construction, infrastructure and equipment to extend the outdoor dining season such as the acquisition of outdoor heaters, and marketing to promote the new expansion project)
• Purchase of PPE, cleaning supplies and health and safety related materials for workers
• Implementation of digital tools and transformations for tourism and hospitality operators (i.e. virtual queue and timed entry ticketing)
• Eligible projects will be granted a minimum of $7,500 & up to a maximum of $20,000
• Minimum 20% matched funds by the recipient required (project minimum $9,375 with grant of $7,500 up to a grant of $20,000 for a project cost of $25,000 or more)
• Project costs incurred from June 1, 2020 to December 31, 2020
• Priority will be given to businesses located within the City of Stratford
• In operation on or before January 31, 2020
• Business must demonstrate a reduction in revenues comparable to last year due to COVID
• Any project costs already funded with Federal relief dollars are not eligible
• Recipient must obtain all necessary permits and abide by all municipal and provincial laws
• Recipient must be able to pay for eligible expenses up front and be reimbursed
• Recipient acknowledges this grant is considered income to their business and agrees to keep accurate records
• Recipient acknowledges their name and grant amount will be public information, displayed on the investStratford website, and possibly used in the Ministry’s success stories or public announcements
• Project activities are new to the business and must be related to tourism-focused adaption of COVID-19 protocols or practices, sustaining or growing revenue generation and ensuring long-term stability.
The STAT Project is currently closed for applications.
*Priority will be given to projects that create/maintain immediate jobs & sustained employment, have a high jobs/dollar invested & impact ratio and illustrate long-term success. Potential projects not listed above will be assessed for eligibility on a case-by-case basis. Owners of more than one business can apply for multiple grants, but in the interest of maximizing community impact, please understand that with limited funds we may only be able to fund one project, so please rank them in order of importance.
SEEDCo/investStratford will partner with the City of Stratford, Stratford Tourism Alliance, Stratford City Centre Committee Development Corporation (BIA) and the Stratford & District Chamber of Commerce to deliver the project.
For more information contact
Michelle Webber, STAT Project Manager
phone: 226-921-5126 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Deadline for applications: Sept. 30, 2020 Please check back for possible funding re-opening.
1. Submission – apply here.
2. Due Diligence – SEEDCo. and its community partners will carry out review and due diligence.
3. Project Evaluation – Applications between $7,500 - $15,000 will be adjudicated internally, based on eligibility and criteria (as outlined). Applications between $15,000 - $20,000 will be adjudicated by a sub-committee made up of Board members of the lead partner group within the Stratford Economic Response and Recovery Taskforce (SERRT). An online application tool will assess impact and rank participants for feedback. In-person/video conference meetings will be used at the discretion of the committee as well.
• eligible expenditures & project scope
• tourism-related job creation & jobs maintained
• does the project strengthen the business in COVID-19 realities
• does the project ensure long-term sustainability
(a) costs of land, building or vehicle purchase
(b) operating expenses like rent and overhead
(c) interest expenses, fines/penalties/litigation, depreciation
(d) non-incremental wages
(e) hospitality and entertainment costs
(f) fees for administrators, including payments to any member or officer of the Recipient’s Board of Directors
(g) costs of individual membership in a professional body (e.g. professional designations)
Stratford Economic Enterprise Development Corporation (SEEDCo) reserves the right to extend the review and due diligence period where applicable in order to receive and evaluate any additional documentation and substantiation.
Incomplete applications will not be considered. No project will extend past December 31, 2020.
The SEEDCo Conflict of Interest policy will be in effect for the judging panel, SEEDCo staff and their immediate family members, and SEEDCo board members.
Applications will be assessed and thereafter:
50% of eligible funds disbursed upon proof of project start
Halfway Check-in point includes site visits where necessary (40% disbursed)
Project completion (10% holdback disbursed)
Questions? Submit online form or contact Michelle Webber at 226-921-5126 or email@example.com
Learn more about the Stratford Advantage. Make us your first point of contact.